Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Are Things Changing?

Election Day came and went.

Strange how the more things change, the more things stay the same.

I am talking specifically about the passing of Prop 8.

Prop 8 takes away marriage rights of gay couples. That is ALL this bill was about. Fear and discrimination.

Prop 8, essentially overturns the a right that was given to gay couples a few months ago. Gays had the right to have their marriages recognized by the state of California for mere months...

Let that sink in. The California Supreme Court already ruled that gay couples not being able to enter into marriage was UNCONSTITUTIONAL.

And yet Prop 8 passed...

What appalls me, isn't that the bill passed. There are multiple appeals and suits filed with the California State Supreme Court arguing that Prop 8 is unconstitutional -- which it is.

What appalls is that a majority of Californians are bigots.

Definitely an eye opener for me. I didn't think Prop 8 even had a chance. I wasn't alive during the Civil Rights movement of the 60's. I always wondered how a large mass of people could not only let racism run rampant, but actually endorse it.

I had this belief that Californians were progressive. That the country followed suit with the example Californians set. I truly hope that isn't the case here.

I have never been more ashamed to be a Californian.

...and I say this as a conservative and as a Republican.

It doesn't matter if you are liberal or conservative -- taking away the rights of another human being isn't only unconstitutional, but it is unconscionable.

No comments: